Optimizing Web Performance with AOL Pagetest

Bookmark and Share

Jul ‘08 10

In this screencast, I walk through how to analyze your site using the reports generated by AOL Pagetest, and explain why and how to go about addressing your pressing performance issues. Come for the tool demo, and stay to learn about the anatomy of an HTTP request, the importance of CDN’s and keep-alives, and a handy Apache module to concatenate CSS and JavaScript. Leave me feedback so I can improve it, and enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

18 Responses to “Optimizing Web Performance with AOL Pagetest”

Leave a Reply »

1. RobertG stuttered... July 11th, 2008 at 9:51 am

Very informative indeed. Thanks for doing it.

2. Optimizing Web Performance with AOL Pagetest | Web Admin Blog thought out loud... July 11th, 2008 at 1:52 pm

[...] Artz has put together a simple Webcast tutorial on how to use webpagetest.org to measure and fix up your Web site.  If all this talk about Web [...]

3. Ernest Mueller squawked... July 11th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Very sharp! Thanks for making such a noob-friendly tutorial, I think it’ll help more people understand these issues.

4. meenakshi barked... July 17th, 2008 at 1:24 am

thanks for making such a useful tutorial…

5. Eric thought out loud... July 17th, 2008 at 10:39 am

Hey, I actually kind of understand what your job is now. Hahaha

6. Stoyan wrote... July 26th, 2008 at 2:44 pm

This is very nice, may I ask what software did you use to record this?

7. ArtzStudio sounded... July 26th, 2008 at 4:12 pm

I used iShowU to record the screen, Quicktime to record my face, and Adobe Premiere to edit all my stupid mistakes.

8. Guillaume, MacMation voiced... May 12th, 2009 at 2:44 am

Hi,
    Thank you for this really nice tutorial.
    I now have a lot of work to do, but I know why and what benefits I can expect.
    Very clear and perfectly delivered presentation. Congrats!

9. Mike Eastwood - Webalite shouted... July 3rd, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Thank you for the thorough explanation Dave.
    Nice work
    -Mike

10. Billigt Webhotell pontificated... November 9th, 2009 at 4:47 am

Great Video!

Clears up a few things, And as Steve Sounders said, Performance is going to be “The” thing in 2010.

11. arith blurted... December 15th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

great!! explanation ,but how to print all the reports from pagetest to my laptop or desktop after we finished the test?

12. Patrick Meenan uttered... January 15th, 2010 at 10:28 am

@arith – Could you be a bit more specific about printing all the reports to your laptop/desktop? Are you just trying to save the results (are are you talking about tests run from the online tool at http://www.webpagetest.org or from the browser plugin)? Depending on what you are trying to do there are several options.

-Pat

13. mercime barked... January 25th, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Thank you for taking the time to create this screencast. I enjoyed and have learned a lot from the detailed explanation. Very cool. Encore!

14. lbb reckoned... March 2nd, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Great video report. I ran Pagetest on our site at http://www.lagunabeachbikini.com
    and got these test results http://www.webpagetest.org/result/100302_5JYM/
    6.322s to Start Render (First View) seems very slow.
    Why does is it so low? Why must it load the .css and .js files serially? Can they be combined? It is a wordpress site.

I feel that if I could get Keep-Alive enabled and combine the .css and .js files, Start Render would happen sooner. But I don’t know how to do that.

15. Laguna Beach Bikini | Measuring Website Speed with WebPagetest blurted... March 3rd, 2010 at 1:03 pm

[...] This is a great tool for identifying bottlenecks that slow down a website. The next step is fixing everything. The only problem is that fixing these things is not so easy. Here is a video tutorial on how to use Pagetest: Optimizing Web Performance with AOL Pagetest [...]

16. joe proclaimed... March 24th, 2010 at 3:56 am

Great video on pagetest, without this i’ll be so lost. Thanks

17. HondonVillas warned... May 3rd, 2010 at 2:18 am

I came to this through Google Web Master Twitter – so glad I did – looks quite complicated at first but in general our site does good. This video is so useful. Thanks.

18. gelinlik said... November 4th, 2010 at 5:07 am